Saturday, January 11, 2014

Champion

Champion was an absolutely fantastic conclusion to Marie Lu's Legend series.  I couldn't put it down. When I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about reading it.  I had to finish it, so I wouldn't have to wonder about June and Day anymore.  I'm going to try to be vague about the details, but spoilers might ensue...  

The ending was fantastic.  I would never have guessed what Lu chose to happen with June and Day.  It was unique and I think it was special.  SPOILERS!!  I'm so glad we got to see them as adults.  I loved June's brief history of what happened after the final battle with the Colonies.  It was probably one of the best "Epilogues" I've ever read.  Though, I was sad when they didn't sail off into the proverbial sunset. Honestly, I almost cried, with Day lying there and June holding him. Spoilers contained.

I think I mentioned this when I read Prodigy, but I really enjoyed the two "versions" of future America.  The Colonies are very different from the Republic.  I'd be really interested in reading a story (novel, short story, whatever) from the perspective of someone living in the Colonies.  What do they think of the Republic? What are their daily lives like?  How do they struggle?  Would they rebel like the Patriots?  I would have loved to read a story about Kaede's life.  She was an amazing character.

I can't believe it's over.  I wish I could know more.  The world of Legend was rich and interesting and grew so much in Champion.  I loved Antarctica.  I would have loved to spend more time there.  The technology seemed fascinating.  The internet searching is something I can see one day happening.  The glasses and points systems were intriguing.  I'd also like to know more about Africa and Canada.  Though mentioned, they don't get visited like Antarctica.  I liked that June was able to see how the outside world views her little country.  She's raised thinking she is a part of a superpower, but it is not true.  I think the history lesson was important for her and us.

Legend is now one of my favourite series.  I enjoyed the world and the characters.  What they go through, the decisions they make and the situations that are thrust upon them are heartbreaking, dangerous and surprising.  Marie Lu might be a favourite author now.  I'm excited to see what she comes up with next.

No comments:

Post a Comment