Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Prodigy (Legend #2)


What?!? That was a fantastic ending!  I could have yelled at the book.  It was dramatic, building on the excitement and action of the entire story.  So much was built into that final moment.  Marie Lu really knew what she was doing when she wrote the end of Prodigy.

I also really like the ending because when Legend ended, Prodigy almost had to pick up where it left off.  With Champion it could begin almost anywhere.  It doesn't have to be the next day. The time spent with June and Day in the first two books is only a couple months.  I feel like Champion could start the next day or months later.

I should really stop talking about what I think will happen in the third book.  I think I'm suffering from a book hangover.  (Maybe even a double hangover since I'm still thinking about Janie and Their Eyes Were Watching God.)

Prodigy was a fantastic sequel.  As much as I enjoyed June and Day, I was really interested in Tess.  She's not the little girl we see through Day's eyes.  She's a young woman, like June, with all the emotions that entails.  We also see how capable and intelligent she is.  I hope we get to see more of her.  I also hope that all the nice feelings I (and the characters in Prodigy) have about Anden are well placed.  He could be everything they are hoping for or he could be seriously and severely twisted.  Also, that whole thing with Razor, I totally saw it coming, from the moment they met him.

I have one small issue with Prodigy and Legend.  June is 15 years old.  15!  Why are all these men not concerned by how young she is?!  Anden is 20, which is less weird than Thomas, who has to be in his mid-twenties.  At least Day is the same age at June.  I understand that she's a prodigy and very mature for her age and smarter than most people, but still.  It find it a little weird.

The new world details we get in Prodigy had me hooked too.  The Republic and the Colonies are two different avenues that I think represent what America could become.  A country rule by the military or one ruled by consumerism.  The Colonies actually reminds me a lot of the world in Continuum.  It's all about the Corporations.  I wouldn't have to worry though, because Canada (and Mexico) sealed their borders.

Prodigy was everything I could have wanted in the sequel to Legend.  Marie Lu wrote some fantastic actions scenes, with a plot and characters that kept me more than engaged.  I devoured Prodigy and I can't wait to see how the story ends.


2 comments:

  1. Been wanting to read this series for a while! Great review, I want to read it even more now.

    New follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good. I loved Legend, Prodigy was fantastic. I can't wait for Champion.

      Delete