Sunday, August 13, 2017

Avengers Assemble: Science Bros.



Avengers Assemble: Science Bros. was hilarious. There were so many funny moments. There were so many pages where I had to show my Hubby. I kept saying to him, "You have to read this." (I also may have mentioned that this collection is by Kelly Sue Deconnick, who wrote all those Captain Marvel comics that I love.) The relationship between Tony Stark and Bruce Banner was fun. It was easy, like I think it aught to be, like two people who have known each other for a long time. I really enjoyed the first interaction with them and "The Captains". They're just making breakfast, talking about science stuff, and Bruce Banner calls Tony Stark's science, "razzle dazzle". Captain Marvel just eggs them on. Then they talk about a colleague who is missing, then there is a bet. Then they go on an adventure, with Thor and Spider-Woman. Again, like with the Captain Marvel books I've read, I loved Spider-Woman. I loved her attitude, her humour, her relationship not just with Captain Marvel, but with Hulk too. If I'm going to start reading any new comics, they will definitely be Spider-Woman (not counting the Deadpool and Wolverine books my Hubby picked up). The end though, with Wolverine and especially Spider-Man, was just great. Yay!

Let's razzle dazzle!
The actual Science Bros. adventure is just the first part of this collection. A wonderful amazing part, but it's the only part of the collection I have a problem with, even though I really, really don't want to. The problem is not with the fantastic story. It's not with any of the scenes or plot. It's with the way the first artist drew/coloured/designed Spider-Woman (I'm not really sure how it all works in the comics world). I kept asking myself (and sometime the Hubby), why was it necessary to show her butt-crack? Is her suit so tight, it is constantly going up her butt? Is her suit painted on? The same artists did not do the whole book, and for the first time, I was happy about it. I was tired of seeing Spider-Woman's cleavage through her full-body suit. I really don't want to complain about the art too much, not in a book that I otherwise loved. The expressions on the faces of all the characters throughout the story were amazing, really showing their feelings, their anger, annoyance, fears, and caring. Just when one image had Spider-Woman looking practically like she didn't eat, with skinny arms, no hips and belly button indent, I thought my head was going to explode. When the artist changed, I could easily tell, mainly because Spider-Woman no longer looked like she was sporting body paint. 

(My rant is done.)

We get to see more than just those first few Avengers. We are also given a Black Widow adventure, which gives us hints into her past with Hawkeye, and a deeper look into the "red in her ledger". It was a fascinating, interesting story, which included some (needed) support from Spider-Woman). Afterwards, we get a visit from Vision. We find out about the aftermath of the end of his relationship with Scarlet Witch. He's hurting, a machine, but so much more. He's in pain. There were parts of their story I didn't know about, like what happened to his children, so I had to look it up. I really enjoyed his conversation with Captain Marvel, and I really liked the end. It makes me want to read the New Avengers.

One of the best group shots ever!
Science Bros. is definitely a book I could read again. If I need a laugh or some light in my day, it is not a long read. Like the last Avengers Assemble I read, Science Bros. had many of my favourite characters that I could be engaged by, entertained by, but not overwhelmed. There was never too much going on, it was all just enough. Watching Captain Marvel and Wolverine share popcorn was a great moment. I enjoyed Spider-Man's cheekiness. Science Bros. has easily become one of my favourite graphic novels, the second in a series I am thoroughly enjoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment