Monday, October 06, 2014

Animal Farm

Animal Farm was a fantastic, interesting, wonderful novel.  A very short novel (novella), I was surprised at how short, initially.  Once reading the story, however, it couldn't have gone on longer.  It was the right length.  It was everything it needed to be.  It was more than I expected it to be.  Animal Farm is one of those books I should have read years ago, maybe right after I read George Orwell's other famous novel, 1984.   Animal Farm was my Classics Club Spin book, but I was going to read it anyway.  It had been gnawing at me that I hadn't read it yet. 
 
The comparisons to Communism are obvious, Orwell was definitely not subtle about Napolean and his regime.  I feel so bad for the animals who rebelled against their oppressors, only to have it happen again.  It has a very historic Russian cycle to it.  Though I knew the story was not going to be a happy one (since 1984 was not), I was still shocked about what happened to Boxer.  The cruelty reached a new height.  I wonder what happened to Snowball.  I kept hoping that he would rally animals at another farm, then try to overthrow Napoleon.  I hoped that the horses would do something.  I almost hoped that the men would win their final battle.  I ended the book hoping that the animals would revolt against the pigs. 
 "All animals are equal
but some are more equal than others."
 
My Hubby told me there are Animal Farm movies/videos.  I'd like to see one.  There are cartoons and live-action.  I'm interested to see how the book is interpreted and if the same feelings evoked by Orwell's story are there when seeing it on screen. 
 
I think Animal Farm is one of those books that everyone should read.  It isn't long and has such a powerful story told through an almost silly way.  Animal Farm is a book I'd like to read again, but like 1984 with its ending, it might be some time.  I wished so much for the happiness of the animals, even after the brutality of their self-proclaimed leader.

13 comments:

  1. I watched a cartoon version as a kid... I remember my parents telling me that I probably wouldn't enjoy it and I replying that it was a cartoon so of course I would! Oh my was I wrong! It was just too upsetting for someone as young as I was. A few years ago though I took the time to read it and I found it very thought provoking. :)
    Check out my classics club spin review. :)
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2014/10/book-review-time-machine.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine that it would be upsetting. It was not a happy book.

      Delete
  2. I studied this in high school at the same time we did the Russian revolution in history, which made it easier to draw all the relevant parallels.

    I didn't know about the cartoon/movie - could be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think studying it in school would have been nice.

      I'm nervous, but very interested in seeing a cartoon version.

      Delete
  3. I read this book so long ago that I really need to read again. But since I remember it being such a horrifying story I am a little reluctant to go there again. Maybe I will look for the cartoon. I do agree with you that this is a book everybody should read. Along with 1984, which by the way, has really spiked in sales on Amazon in the past couple of years. It seems recent events in the news have fired up a renewed interest Orwell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a depressing story. It was amazing and I'm glad to have read it, but I don't know that I'll be reading it again anytime soon.

      1984 is so relevant to what is going on in the world right now. Plus, an ebook of 1984 is only $.99.... I should re-read that one, but not right now. I'm getting my fill of happy things right now.

      Delete
  4. I don't know how I ever managed to get through high school without reading this book! Will have to make time to read it now, especially if it's so short. 1984 could use a reread, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't read either book in high school or university. Only as an adult did I finally read the amazingly bleak Orwell.

      Delete
  5. I was one of those that read it in high school and LOVED it. There aren't many books I'd like to reread but this one is up there, though I was nervous (until reading your thoughts) that it wouldn't have held up.

    Love those propaganda inspired covers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, you should totally reread it.

      I love the covers too. I had to restrain myself or half the post would be different covers.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you wish for a happy ending, watch the 1999 film version with live animals and big stars for the voices...but truthfully, I'd say skip it. In my opinion no one has done a decent film version. I enjoyed your review, though I think you enjoyed Animal Farm more than I.

    My own review: http://100greatestnovelsofalltimequest.blogspot.com/2012/05/animal-farm-by-george-orwell-1946-7.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd still like to see what kind of attempts have been made to make this into a movie.

      Delete