Thursday, July 24, 2014

Alice Through The Looking Glass, Stratford Festival

Alice Through the Looking Glass is being performed as part of the Stratford Festival this year. I was lucky enough to get tickets for a performance where the proceeds went to the United Way. I was excited to see Alice, looking forward to whimsy, colour and fun. Alice was good, but not great. The second half, after intermission was fabulous. It was engaging, funny and exciting.

I love the theatre and was so excited to see a play in Stratford this year (I’m hoping to see another one in the fall).  I wish I could have been as excited about Alice as I was about Tommy last year.  Alice Through The Looking Glass is fabulous source material (which I should read), I thought there would just be more.  The costumes were fantastic, the bicycles were perfect.  The set, the effects, were all brilliant.  If you can sit through the talking of the first half, the second half is definitely worth it.  It’s worth it just to see Humptey Dumptey have his fall.  That was hilarious, laugh out loud funny. 

I have to warn, this show is not really for little kids.  I did not bring my five-year-old and I’m glad.  There were kids her age there and younger.  They were so very bored.  It was better for them for the second half too, but there were things happening throughout the whole play that I don’t think they would necessarily understand.  Children should be at least 8, I think, maybe older.

Alice Through The Looking Glass was fun.  More than anything, it has made me want to read the book.  I’m looking forward to the next play I see too.  I hope I get to see another play at the Stratford Festival this year.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous25/7/14 12:02

    What show do you think you will see next? I have a gift certificate for Stratford and we usually pick a Shakespeare play, but nothing is grabbing me this season except maybe Man of La Mancha ... but I feel like I need to read Don Quixote first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what I'll see next. There's a few that I'd like to, both Shakespeares I haven't seen on stage, King Lear and Midsummer Night's Dream. I actually heard from some people in town that Hay Fever is good. It's run was actually extended. (I have no idea what it is about).

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure the books are for small children, either. Alice's world is strange. I remember being terrified by the movie and the book when I was 6 years old, but I was an easily scared kid! Now it's one of my favorite books, especially Through the Looking Glass. I'll keep my eyes peeled in case you get around reading it!

    The performance sounds good enough, and the festival sounds like a treat. Have fun with whatever else you get to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably read the books before I decide when I think my kids should.... So, in the near future I'll probably start reading the Alice books.

      The festival is fantastic. It's a great way to see good theatre.

      Delete