Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Macaroni, Cheese & Spinach Cups

Really, this recipe needs a new name.  But it's an accurate description of what I made.  I've made it a few times and it gets tastier with each batch.  I was inspired by a recipe I saw on Pinterest (yes, I make things I find on Pinterest), so I want to definitely credit the original recipe.  The original is healthy. Me? I think I'm kind of half way.  I used 2% milk.  I used regular cheddar and old cheddar (Mmm...)  I also add a dash of nutmeg and two dashes of cayenne.  I also used rotini instead of macaroni, mostly that's because of what I had on hand... and I think rotini is fun.  I should try it with macaroni and see if it makes difference.  I also used fresh spinach. - Honestly, I always forget to thaw frozen spinach before I'm ready to make something. Then I have to do a "quick thaw" under the tap.  Then it's too soggy and I get too much water in my recipe. In general, using fresh spinach is easier for me.

The adults who ate it had lots of compliments.  The children looked at me like, what the f* is this?  It's the green.  It doesn't matter what you do, if they see that wilty green, they don't want it.  You can't even really taste it.  Most of the time I throw spinach in stuff for the health benefits.  I'm not a fan of cooked, straight up spinach either.  In the cups, you mostly taste the cheese and garlic.  Since I love cheese and garlic, that's awesome.

In pictures, here's what happened:

I got out my muffin tin and sprayed it with cooking spray.

I chopped some spinach.

I made the sauce.  I made sure to whisk in the milk gradually, so I wouldn't get any lumps.

Mixed in the spinach.

Mixed in the pasta that I had to wait a few minutes for. Now, I will remember to set the pasta to boil before I start.  I forgot until after I had chopped the spinach and had to wait.  Ugh.

Into the pan it goes. The above picture is actually after it has been in the oven for 13 minutes.

There are two Cups on a plate.

I'm not sure how copyright works with recipes.  I like blogging about food, but I don't know if I can type out the whole recipe without getting in trouble... even though I made some changes: adding nutmeg and cayenne, using 2% milk, using fresh spinach.  I linked to my source; what else can I do?

Also, all these photos were taken with my iPhone. I don't know what it is about my kitchen. The photos always seem to have a yellowish tinge to them.

I'm looking at these pictures and I'm hungry.  I hope my kids learn to like this recipe, because it is a hit with the adults.





2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. I think I might try this.

    Also as for the yellow tinge, I would say it's probably a matter of not having a enough light. You need a LOT of light (preferably natural cos it just seems easier to work with) to get rid of the yellowy color. I always find if I'm working off just the lights around my house my pictures come out the same way, whether I'm using my iPhone camera or a nice DSLR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      There is NO natural light in my kitchen. It's very sad. I'm going to have to get some kind of lamp going to get the pictures not to be so yellow.

      Delete