Monday, April 07, 2014

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I'm a geek; lots of people know it.  The Marvel Universe keeps delivering movies I am crazy for. Captain America: The Winter Soldier wasn't just about Captain America or even The Winter Soldier.  We learned more about Black Widow, S.H.I.E.L.D., and were introduced to Falcon. I thought Maria Hill was great and Agent 13 (Kate), might be my new favourite S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.  I really enjoyed the dynamic between Cap and Widow.  I also really appreciated Cap's friendship with Falcon.  Sam is just a guy, (a veteran) that Steven Rogers meets on a run one day.  They become friends, real friends.  Sam isn't Iron Man or Thor, they aren't thrust together because of an impending doom.  Sam being Falcon is secondary (though necessary to the plot).  I liked how their friendship grew.

I can't really talk too much about the plot without giving it away.  It was complex, but I didn't find it complicated. It put Black Widow and Falcon right next to Captain America, without taking away the driving force he gave to the movie.  It allowed us to see Peggy, what she did after Cap's "death", and who she is now.  It showed what S.H.I.E.L.D. and what Hydra were capable of.  The movie has made me more excited to see what's going to happen on this week's episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..  The show exists in the same universe as the movie, so if something bad happens in Thor or Captain America it is reflected in the show.  With what happened to Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D., I wonder what is going to happen to Agent Coulson and his team.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier isn't just for geeks and Marvel fans.  It has a great story and excellent action sequences.  It's more than a comic book movie, it's a spy movie and an action movie.  I can't wait to see it again.


4 comments:

  1. I was impressed. Even more so as I don't like super-hero films. I liked the darkness and the complexity..... oh, and I loved some of the one-liners.

    "Do you want to play a game?" Hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely thing Cap 2 appeals to more than just comic fans. I also enjoyed the one-liners. They add a bit of levity just when it's needed.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed it, though I think I'm one of the few that enjoyed the first one more. Like you though, I can't wait to see how it all plays out on tomorrow's Agents. What did you think of those post-end credit teasers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked them and I think they were good marketing. They get you excited about Agents of SHIELD, Cap 3 and the next Avengers movie. I'm a fan of the actual origin story of the twins, I'm interested though in seeing what they do with it. Especially since they're also not doing the actual origin story of Ultron either. Connected? Not connected?

      Delete