Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Buying Books for A Baby Shower

I buy books for baby showers.  All the time.  The last baby shower I was at, I bought for the parents-to-be, Ten Apples Up On Top and Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?.  I love these books.  I love them because my children love them.  They weren't ones I read as a child, they were gifts.  Seeing my kids love them makes me want to spread the baby bookish love. I've bought loads of different books for showers, The Paperbag Princess, Goodnight Moon, Goodnight, I Love You and so many more. I've even included Go the F*ck To Sleep so that new parents can get a warning about how difficult it can be to put their child to bed.  I want to add, I don't typically buy only books (though I had a friend tell me to only get her books and pick the ones my children liked best).  Usually the books go with toys or something on the registry or a cute onesie.

For an upcoming shower I purchased, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish and The Cat In The Hat. They are classics and loved by children everywhere.  I was told by someone, who asked what I had bought for the shower - well I don't think the parents are readers.  They disapproved of my shower gift.  I might have been offended, I definitely got defensive.  My reply was something like, they better become readers. There are so many benefits to reading to your children.  I could angrily list them all here, but if you're reading this, you probably know what many of them are.

What I'm wondering is: would you NOT buy books for a baby shower if you knew the parents weren't big readers?  I guess I think books are classic, can't go wrong, loved by children, gifts....

2 comments:

  1. I think all parents read to their children even if they aren't big readers themselves. It might even get them back into reading so win-win.

    I sent one of my nephew books all the time as a child even when his parents said he wouldn't like them. Well guess what? He begs for books now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10/4/14 11:08

    I agree that reading to their children might get lapsed readers (is there such a thing?) interested in picking up books again. Also, there is so much emphasis on reading to babies and kids these days as a gateway to success with literary skills, I'm sure busy parents would be grateful you placed some good books into the hands.

    ReplyDelete