Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Not This Again

Is there something fundamentally unemployable about me? Someone please tell me if there is.

I'm unemployed, AGAIN!  How does this keep happening to me?  By posting this, am I telling the internet I'm not employable?  I swear I am.  I'm a hard worker.  I'm smart.  I'm polite and friendly.  I could post my friggin' résumé up here....  Though this happened two weeks ago, I'm still mad.

Okay, so, it's not as though I liked the job.  It was not me.  It was too mean.  I ate lunch by myself, which I tried to make a good thing and read a lot, but it wasn't nice and I didn't feel comfortable.  I didn't seem to have friendly chats with people, though I tried.  That's what you do with new co-workers, right?  You try to get to know them. I don't know if anyone was trying to get to know me.  I had moody co-workers.  I was frustrated by the lack of training.  I didn't feel like I belonged.  So, when the boss told me I wasn't a good fit, I couldn't say that he was lying.  My issue was that the reason he gave had nothing to do with my work or working ability, my intelligence or task completion.  It was all based on feelings. I talked to my Dad. He apparently had a similar issue in his working life.  He told me, whenever you work for a privately owned company, they could hire and fire as they saw fit because it was their business. It didn't matter if your work was perfect, if they didn't like you or their friend didn't like you, they'd let you go. I think that's what happened here.

What do I do?

Again I'm going to look for work... because I enjoy that so much.  I'm going to be pickier this time because I'm tired of not being employed for long.  I want permanence and stability.  Even though people will be interviewing me, I'm going to be interviewing them too.  I'm looking for a non-moody employer with proper HR procedures and a comfortable working environment.

Bah!

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, I'm so sorry!! Although really, it sounds like it was for the best. You weren't happy there and why spend so much time somewhere that makes you miserable?

    I do think it's super important for you to look at the job interview as you interviewing the company to see if you think that job will be a good fit for you. They can learn about you, and you can learn about the company

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a pretty sucky place to work. Hopefully I'll be moving on to bigger and better things.

      Delete