Friday, January 10, 2014

Batman: The Killing Joke

I didn't mean to read Batman: The Killing Joke in one sitting, but I couldn't put it down.  It wasn't long anyway, just over 60 pages, which is quite short for a graphic novel.  This graphic novel is also different from others in the Superhero genre. Typically, the work starts out as comic books and then is collected into a volume. That isn't what happened here.  The Alan Moore and Brian Bolland came together and produced one work. The Killing Joke is one of the most popular Batman comics.  I was excited when I received it as a gift and I was excited when I started to read it.

I don't know what I expected.  Maybe I still had a book hangover from The Promise.  I found The Killing Joke dark.  It was brutal and violent and we can attribute most of that to The Joker.  I audibly gasped at one point.  It was a great story, reflecting the dark dichotomy of Batman and The Joker.  I had never read a Batman comic before The Killing Joke, though I'm a fan of superheroes.  If you only read one Batman comic in your whole life, this is the one to read.  I might be recommending The Killing Joke a lot in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment