Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Undead and Unwelcome


Undead and Unwelcome is the 8th book in MaryJanice Davidson's Undead series.  If there are SPOILERS for the first 7 books, it can't be helped.


I'm glad that I've continued with the very light Undead books. Undead and Unwelcome was such an easy and entertaining read. It's just what I've been needing lately. I have to admit, I was worried in the beginning. The first fifty pages in and I was a little miffed at Betsy.  Normally, I enjoy her sarcastic, snarky, I-don't-care attitude, but not right then. Her friend was dead.  They were discussing the funeral.  I understand that she was noticing some weird paranormal phenomena at the same time, but multi-task.  At least pretend to pay attention.  She's in the home of the werewolf king, I'd like to think that she'd know to show a bit more respect.  Maybe her bad behaviour is getting worse with age.  I was hoping that it didn't get worse, because I could only handle so much of this attitude.  It did not get worse, Becky became better and I think learned a thing or two from Michael Wyndham about being a leader.

I got exactly what I wanted from the funeral scene. Betsy did what I was imagining and hoping she would do. Antonia deserved to be mourned by people who actually cared about her and wanted to see her happy. Betsy showed them the truth, even at risk to her own safety.  She showed them again at the Council.  It was great to get these real, raw emotions out of her.

"Why can't we all just get along."  Seriously Davidson, I love these books. But not only is that line eye-roll inducing, if a twenty-year-old read that, I'm not sure they would understand the reference. 

Marc's journal was a fantastic addition. The Undead series is told in first person, from Betsy's point of view, but Davidson changed things up. Marc wrote a diary. From this diary do we get to see what Laura was up to while her sister was away. That young lady is super crazy and in some serious denial. I'm wondering where Davidson is going to take this. Is Laura going to swing for her sister or her mother? And what will happen to the baby?

As much as I have questions, Undead and Unwecome does pretty well as a story on it's own. It is the middle book in what Davidson calls her "trilogy within a series," but for someone who read Undead and Unworthy a while a go, I didn't feel I was missing anything. There was a bit of catch up at the beginning of the book, which was nice, but what mattered immediately was the story taking place in this novel. It's something I appreciate from books in series. 

I really enjoyed the 8th Undead book and I'm glad I have the 9th close at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment