Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Let's Get To Know Each Other: Top Ten Authors Who Deserve More Recognition

This week The Broke and The Bookish want to know who we think are the Top Ten Authors Who Deserve More Recognition.  I did this topic way back in March 2011; I won't repeat authors.  I didn't even make it to ten last time. Can I 2+ years later?  I'm going to include along with the author's name, something they've written that I've enjoyed.  In no particular order.


I reached ten!  I know some of these authors have won awards and have multiple books under their belt, but a lot of them I don't see on other blogs.  I don't read about them in newspapers and magazines.  I try to talk about them in real life with people and they don't know who they are!  For some of these authors, if it wasn't for Goodreads or my attraction to pretty/interesting book covers, I might not even know about them.  Some are "classic" authors that have been forgotten when others are constantly discussed.  Each of those ten books I loved, for different reasons, and I would recommend them.

Who do you think deserves more recognition?

16 comments:

  1. I have Falling Kingdoms checked out from the library now. I can't wait to read it. I need to pick up Wither, too. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Falling Kingdoms was great, better than I expected it to be. I highly recommend it.

      Delete
  2. I've read Lauren DeStefano, Zora Neale Hurston, and Khaled Hosseini from your list. None of them were particular favorites, though. :( I've seen The Thorn Birds around, but I've never heard much about it, and I've had my eye on Falling Kingdoms for a while also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you didn't like the books, I enjoyed all of them. I enjoyed The Thorn Birds, but it's very long. Falling Kingdoms was great, better than expected and I can't wait for the sequel!

      Delete
  3. Laren Destafano! I can't wait to read her new series, it sounds so intriguing! Great list :)

    My TTT: http://suchanovelidea.com/2013/07/16/top-ten-tuesday-7/

    Jess @ Such A Novel Idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I can't wait for DeStefano's new book.

      Delete
  4. I've only read DeStefano and Rhodes but I agree that both of these authors are great! I cannot wait to read Rebel Spring this December!

    Thanks for stopping by!
    Nicole @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm eagerly anticipating Rebel Spring. I have to know what happens.

      Delete
  5. I think Miriam Toews gets quite a bit of recognition actually, but I agree with you about Donna Morrissey. For Canadian authors I'd say Lynn Coady deserves more, but she seems to be (finally) on the rise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn Coady does need more recognition... since I just had to look up who she is.

      I never hear anything about Miriam Toews. I remember all the attention when A Complicated Kindness. Now, if she has a new novel out, I only know about it if I stumble upon it.

      Delete
  6. I loved Wither by Lauren DeStefano! I still have to read Fever though. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the whole series. I'm excited about her new book coming out too.

      Delete
  7. I haven't read any of these! I am intrigued by the Chemical Garden series and Falling Kingdoms. I also need to read Khaled Hosseini. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are all great books/authors. I hope you get to read them soon. While I enjoyed both of Hosseini's books that I've read, I think you should start with A Thousand Splendid Suns.

      Delete
  8. I knew that this topic seemed familiar. I probably totally repeated my authors. I read Irma Voth by Toews. I didn't love it, but I definitely liked it enough to give her another try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Irma Voth, I've heard mixed reviews about it. I loved A Complicated Kindness and definitely recommend it.

      Delete