Sunday, September 05, 2010

Word Of The Week!

There are some interesting words this week, most provided by Stephen King. I haven’t finished Under The Dome yet. It’s a really long book!

From Under The Dome:

Incantatory: Comes from Incantation, which is a charm or spell created by words. You can find the definition here. King uses the word to describe Lissa’s walk. She’s the school librarian and known for being a little different than everyone else. Is King therefore saying that this character has a magical walk?

Declamatory: Marked by passion or pomposity. Bombastic? King used declamatory to describe a gunshot. I guess you could have a bombastic type gunshot, right?Ululating: Means to howl or wail with grief, which is perfectly fitting when describing a scream during a bloody riot.

From Sleep Talkin’ Man:

Acrimonious: Karen uses this word to describe Adam’s relationship with mole hills. Apparently Adam is bitter towards them.

Four new words this week! I’m not sure incantatory is a real word. Were you making up a new word, Mr. King? In real life, I’m not sure I’d use any of these words. In blogging/writing life, I could see myself using acrimonious, so that’s the best new word this week.

Side Note: I was trying to post Word of the Week every Friday, but the last few weeks it hasn’t happened. I don’t know if it’s just that this has been a particularly busy time for me (which it has been) or if it’s something that can’t happen on a Friday. I’m going to see what happens in the coming weeks. I’ll either do better and keep it (normally) on Fridays or I might move it to Sundays. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I’d love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment