Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Dark Tower 1: The Gunslinger


I think it’s the future. I think that it is our world that has moved on and become Roland’s. I don’t know what happened. I don’t know how science and technology was forgotten, how the world fell into another dark age, but that is what I believe right now. After everything the man in black (Walter) said to Roland and about the world before, cars, the round world, visiting the moon, how could it not be our world? I know that there has been some speculation that it’s a parallel universe and Roland & Jake cross the line. I think there is magic in Roland’s world and time is crossed.

The first time I read The Gunslinger, I was in high school. I loved it. I fell for Stephen King and developed a taste for fantasy and other forms of fantastic fiction. The Gunslinger showed me that I could (and would) enjoy novels beyond the standard realm of fiction and literature. Recently, I have acquired the last novels written in The Dark Tower series (they are BIG books), as well as the graphic novel. I’m so excited to read them. However, since it’s been so long since I read The Gunslinger and it’s been eight years since I read Wizard and Glass, I thought that I might start from the beginning and enjoy the novels all over again. Like Roland, I’m working my way to The Dark Tower

1 comment:

  1. I finished the last Dark Tower book in January. I just re-read this post. I was so wrong! It's totally a parallel world. There's more to it, of course. I can't believe how wrong I was.

    ReplyDelete